In the News

Teen girl dies after she electrocuted herself using her phone in the bath

A teenage girl has died after being electrocuted when she used her phone in the bath whilst it was on charge

A 14-year-old girl has passed away after using her phone whilst taking a bath.

Madison Coe, who was from Lubbock in Texas, was electrocuted while she bathed on the morning of Sunday 9 July.

Her family have said that she either reached to use her phone whilst it was charging or she plugged her phone in to charge while in the bath at her father's house in New Mexico.

Madison was staying at her father's house when she died (Credit: KCBD/ Family Photo)

Madison's grandmother Donna O'Guinn spoke to KCBD about the tragic accident, saying that Madison was found with a burn mark on her hand from where she'd reached for the phone.

She said: "I call her my shining star. She was very smart. Very good student in school. She just loved life. She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her."

Donna added that the accident could have happened to anyone: "This is such a tragedy that doesn't need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging."

She also wanted everyone to learn something from Madison's death: "We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix."

WATCH: KCBD's report on Madison's death

Madison's school, Terra Vista Middle School, released a statement: "It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together."

Family friend Carl Christensen has set up a Go Fund Me page for donations to the family. He wrote: "It is with a heavy heart that we announce the loss of Madison Coe. Our hearts go out to their family during this difficult time. We are asking for your support to help this precious family with medical and memorial costs. Any support given would be greatly appreciated."

Have you ever used your phone whilst in the bath? Let us know over on Facebook and Twitter.

READ MORE...

Bradley Lowery's family have made his funeral an open invitation

Nursery children encouraged to draw pictures of the Grenfell Tower fire

Grieving mother warns other parents about putting a blanket in a baby's cot after her son died

Closer magazine cover